28 July 2012

Bringing Sloppy Joes to Dijon


For my final day in Lyon I actually left the city to visit a small town called Vienne. The city had some well-known Roman ruins and a nice museum that contained mostly mosaics and wall paintings from the many houses excavated in the area. After I returned to Lyon in the afternoon, I relaxed and stayed in for the evening.

I caught a train the next morning and worked my way back to Dijon. My good friend, Sarah, in Dijon left her keys with a friend so I could stay at her apartment. I grabbed those and then met up with my friend Clement with whom I would be excavating. We had an important mission for the day: grocery shopping. I promised him two weeks prior that I would make a traditional American dinner for him and his family the next time I was in town. Trying to decide what a traditional American food is can be tricky as most of ours are modifications of other culture’s recipes which tend to add extra fats and sugars. I proposed Mac and Cheese, a standard for me, but he vetoed this one. My next idea, which I did not describe to him until we had purchased the ingredients, was for good ol’American Sloppy Joes. He seemed intrigued by this but I think perhaps had difficulty imagining it since eating it on a hamburger bun made it seem like it would be more of a hamburger. Anyway…

The next day I went over to his mother’s house and began cooking. I really like a recipe from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Foods which is what I used for this one. I had to substitute ground turkey for ground beef since there is not really that much ground meat in France. I picked up some coleslaw to eat with it which I was surprised to learn is well liked in France, though a bit different from ours at home and not as good as what my boyfriend’s mother makes (you have ruined me, Carol!). After an hour or so of preparation, cooking, and simmering, the Sloppy Joes were ready.

I explained how to eat it and that the purpose of the meal was to get it all over your hands and face. I said that is also why I chose this meal because it would be something so un-French. I also showed them my special technique of squishing down the bread in the center of the bun to accommodate more of the slop; they liked this too! I was a bit nervous because I wanted them to like it but had no idea if they would. After a few bites, the laughter began and I was pleased to see them take not only seconds, but even thirds of my Sloppy Joes! I was so happy that it was a success! 


We left shortly after for the excavations which began that Monday. I am two weeks into the excavations now and am happy to say that while they are quite different from last year, I think things are way better. We have only had a bit of rain one day which is completely different from last year. Many of my good friends did not return this year with the exception of Clement, and then The Hobbit made a last minute effort to come, so I have the two of them again. I have become closer with the French students this year than I was last year which helps a bit with the language. My roommate this year is a really cool Austrian girl that I actually met two years ago when visiting Vix and who I excavated several ditches with last year. I am not really excavating this year, but rather, am helping to document all of the new features at the site (for example, a wall or posthole after its discovery). After two weeks, I have drawn over 150 of such features (mostly postholes). The best change this year though has to be that all of the teams are mixing. Last year it was quite divided and so the Austrians stayed with the Austrians, the Swiss with the Swiss, the French with the French, and the Germans with the Germans. This was different from day one and everyone has been talking, sharing drinks, and doing things together. I have met some really great people so far and am enjoying the excavations tremendously as a result (as I have not blogged in two weeks this should be your proof!).

Ok, now that you have all had a bit of an update, I am off again to enjoy one of my evenings in the beautiful weather and good company I have found in France!

No comments: